Thursday, June 30, 2011

In case you were wondering...

One of my favorite things about living in my village is the peace and serenity I find between late afternoon and early morning. During these peaceful hours, I have a lot of time to myself to sit and think about the many things I am doing during my internship. I realized today that I have yet to share these programs with you:

1. I am currently in the process of developing peer-health education programs in both the secondary and primary schools. I hope to work alongside the students to create programs that are as much theirs as they are mine.
2. I am collecting the height, weight, and age of every student at the primary school. When this task is complete, the school will keep this record and update it every 3-6 months.
3. I am traveling to every student’s home to collect both the child’s health history and the family’s health history to include as part of each child’s health record.
4. I am also traveling to various communities in an effort to evaluate a cash-return program that was implemented in2009. The “return” part of the loan process has not occurred in any of the contract agreements. It is my job to investigate why in order to improve upon this in the future.
5. I have traveled to the islands to conduct rapid HIV/AIDS tests and counsel villagers about their results. I will complete one more trip before I leave.
6. Although I am far from being an expert, I will be researching granting opportunities for my agency, and then coaching my supervisor about the best approaches to seeking funding. I hope to leave a systematic manual for him to utilize long after I leave.
7. I will also be collecting a short bio and a photograph from each of the older students at the primary school that I can pass on to an elementary school in America. I hope this will be the beginning of a pen-pal relationship that can bridge the gaps between the American and Ugandan cultures. 

Busy Busy Busy!

With love,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment