Friday, July 15, 2011

Chapati on America Day

I really have no complaints about my internship family. A few weeks ago I told my supervisor that my favorite holiday was coming up. The Fourth of July, Independence Day, the day we Americans put aside our differences and willingly chose to gather as families (no presents or house cleaning required) to blow things up into the air to make millions of people say "oooh...ahhh" in unison.

He started asking me about what we eat on "America Day" and I told him we have BBQs, watermelon, corn on the cob, chips and dip, and really any other summer snack you enjoy! So last Monday rolls around and not only has Festus bought me a watermelon (which, sorry America, but fruit in Uganda is way more incredible than it is back home), mangoes, maize (that was toasted over a coal stove so it almost tasted like it was BBQ'd), guacamole, beans, and beef. Then he and Lydia also taught me how to make Chapati, which is my favorite Ugandan dish here. In return, I taught them how to make tortilla chips...over a coal burning stove in a tin bowl...using Johnny's as my only seasoning...hard but not impossible.

They took pictures of each step and I'd like to share them with you. Sorry, I don't have very good baking instructions because its a "dash here, splash there" kind of a country.
Shred two carrots...

Combine half of one sliced onion and half of one garlic clove with half a bag of flour and the carrots...

Knead with your hands. In my case, knead with your left hand only because you have seriously injured your right thumb on the cheese grater and don't want to bleed into the dish...

Roll the dough into balls...

Flatten balls...

Roll balls, but flip them after each roll so they don't stick to the bread board...

Look what I flattened!

Add a spoonful of oil to the tin pan and fry over your coal burning stove. I'm sure a "modern day" stove will work fine too...

Flip when instinct or Lydia tell you to...

Hold the finished treat up for the camera!

Shake hands with your Madam! We are sitting next to "Mukuano Oil" which means Friendship and a jar of Johnny's my mom insisted I would need!

And that is how it's done! I promise a bigger blog will come tomorrow. Happy Harry Potter Day!

With love,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment